Veterans of U.S. Armed Forces
SDCC has been approved for the educational training of Veterans. Veterans should visit the VA Benefits website at www.gibill.va.gov to inquire about their eligibility for education benefits. Appropriate forms for activating benefits may be obtained from the VA Benefits website above. Program costs to Veterans are consistent with other degree-seeking students. For information on payment rates available for Chapter 30 (Montgomery) or Chapter 35 (DEA) benefits please visit the VA Website here. A Chapter 33 (Post-9/11) benefit calculator may be found here. A GI Bill Calculator may also be found at www.military.com/gi-bill-calculator.
Yellow Ribbon Program
As of the 2010-2011 school year SDCC has participated in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2009. This program allows institutions of higher learning in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate.
Students enrolled in the Traditional Program who receive 100% Post 9/11 and Yellow Ribbon benefits are eligible for certain Institutional Aid programs at SDCC.
Am I eligible for the Post 9/11 Yellow Ribbon Program?
- You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months.
- You were honorably discharged from active duty for service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.
- You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran's service under the criteria listed above.
*This information will be listed on your certificate of eligibility letter that that the Veteran Affairs Office sends you.
What procedures must I complete in order to be eligble for Yellow Ribbon at SDCC?
What are SDCC's Institutional Policies regarding the Yellow Ribbon Program?
- Provide a copy of your certificate of eligibility letter from the VA to the Student Financial Services Office. If our office already has your letter on file, you do not need to re-submit it.
- SDCC will abide by the federal regulations to report tuition and fees less any SDCC institutional discounts and/or federal (non-title IV) and state discounts.
- The maximum contribution made by SDCC's Yellow Ribbon Institutional Match is $6,000 per academic year.
- Students enrolled in the Traditional program at SDCC who receive 100% Post 9/11 Yellow Ribbon education benefits are eligible for certain institutional aid programs. These students may receive Athletic Scholarships, the Dr. Henry Morris Leasership Scholarship, and Ministry Team Scholarships. Recipients of these scholarships may have their Yellow Ribbon benefits reduced or they may be able to reserve them for future use.