History and Social Science Mission Statement and Department Objectives
The History & Social Science Department has developed a mission statement and five departmental objectives:
The mission of the History/Social Science Department is to mentor students, including a willingness to represent Christ within a culturally diverse society, while acquiring general knowledge, scholarly reasoning, and research skills.
- To synthesize knowledge of the structure, history and management of human societies.
- To develop information literacy, generating research from well-developed reasoning and critical interpretation of material evidence, communicated in both oral and written form.
- To differentiate between culturally generated beliefs and divinely revealed truth, while developing a biblical perspective that reflects an appreciation for the richness and diversity of cultures.
- To cultivate a lifelong commitment to growth in the Christian faith, professional integrity, and passion for service.
- To demonstrate an eclectic approach to historical investigation in order to apply information from a variety of sources.