Education Department Objectives for Liberal Studies
The Liberal Studies major will enable prospective teachers to:
- Establish a strong foundational knowledge of subject matter in multiple disciplines—humanities, sciences, math, and social sciences.
- Identify the significant ideas, structures, and values in the disciplines which underlie the K-8 curriculum.
- Demonstrate an ability to engage in scholarly inquiry, research, and professional development.
- Integrate, synthesize, and apply subject matter content from multiple sources.
- Show an awareness and appreciation for diversity and multicultural perspectives.
- Develop and then articulate an integrated personal philosophy of education that reflects a strong Christian worldview integrated with a sound theoretical background and exemplary methods.