Director of Financial Services
Job Title: Director of Financial Services
Department: Student Financial Services
Supervisor: Vice President of Student Services
FSLA Status: Exempt
Major Purpose |
This position is under general supervision of the Vice President of Student Services with the responsibility to manage the Student Financial Services department and administer the financial aid programs including federal, state, outside private and institutional aid. The Director of SFS must plan, organize and supervise the Financial Services department that produces a quality service to the students of San Diego Christian College.
Performance Measurements |
• Manages and supervises all financial aid processes from student application, evaluating eligibility, awarding federal, state and institutional aid and to oversee the posting process to student accounts and refunds associated;
• Interprets and applies federal and other agency regulations; college policies; relating to the proper delivery of student aid;
• Ensure college has an exemption free audits and program reviews by compliant accountability and application of regulations;
• Maintains positive networking relations with Department of Education, California Student Aid Commission, SDCC Cabinet of the President that positively promotes the mission and vision;
• Develops and directs financial aid strategies within the framework of federal and state regulations that are consistent with the enrollment management objectives of the College and by administering financial aid, scholarships and student employment programs that support student recruitment and retention;
• Oversee administrative functions of the SFS department by developing staff meetings for professional development, employ effective customer service, and training opportunities;
• Provides strategic management int eh area of Default Prevention and Financial Literacy for its students in an effort to encourage a Christian stewardship lifestyle;
• Utilizes and maintains the current Financial Aid module in the College’s student information system (SIS).
• Ensures that the system is used effectively and that processes; and product enhancements are developed which are technologically up-to-date and user/student friendly;
• Works with Vice President of Student Services to monitor SFS budget and departmental operating expenses;
• Monitors Federal Share expenditures and budgets related to Campus Based Funding;
• Monitors student refunds, prorations, charges, and Return to Title IV aid;
• Reconciles federal, state and institutional awards with student accounts;
• Reconciles student receivables with student accounts specialist and the Business Office;
• Manages collections of student receivables and provides direction and strategy to reduce student accounts receivables;
• Contributes to student satisfaction through delivery of quality customer service in all aspects of the administration of financial aid and student employment services;
• Ensures that students are informed about their eligibility for financial aid by developing and directing a system for collecting and evaluating applications, and for the timely and effective awarding of all types of financial aid;
• Maintains confidentiality of information exposed to in the course of business regarding students, supervisors or other employees;
Director of Financial Services |
• Contributes to a safe educational and working environment by participating in all drills and training and being prepared to take action should a health or safety emergency occur;
• Submits on time and accurate annual reporting of federal and state agencies;
• Other duties as assigned.
Education Required: Bachelor Degree
Education Preferred: Master’s degree
Certificate Preferred: Federal Student Aid Training for Financial Aid Administrator’s
Experience: At least 5 years of supervisory experience in Federal Student Aid management
Statement of Faith: Ascribe to SDCC statement of Faith & made a commitment as a disciple of Jesus Christ
Required Knowledge |
• Thorough understanding of the current Federal Student Aid Handbook;
• Ability to deal effectively and care with a diverse student body;
• Ability to communicate objectives and leadership to the SFS staff;
• Ability to team build and inspire SFS staff;
• Ability to work under pressure to meet timelines and objectives;
• Good interpersonal and communication skills.
Working Environment |
• This position is primarily sedentary, working at a desk in a climate controlled office or attending meetings with no exposure to work hazards.
Special Requirements |
• Ability to travel to workshops and conferences on behalf of the College;
• Ability to work flexible work schedules including evenings as needed;
• Subject to criminal background check prior to employment.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and frequently required to stand, walk, sit, and use hands to handle files, computers, and phones; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and kneel. Frequent and regular repetitive movements required using the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The above statements and job description is intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed within this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and tasks. Other similar or additional duties are to be performed or assigned. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts.
I acknowledge I have reviewed the content of this job description and understand that if I have any physical limitations or require any reasonable accommodations in order to perform my job, I must immediately inform administration.
How to Apply
Download and complete the Employment Application and Community Covenant.
(If the PDF application will not open in your browser, right mouse click and 'save link as' or 'save target as' to download the application PDF to your computer)
Submit your resume with references.
Email the above information to email@example.com with the subject field being, "Director of Financial Services" to the attention of Robert Jensen.