Hawks News & Events - "Hawks Knock off Westmont for First GSAC Win"
> Hawks News & Events: Hawks Knock off Westmont for First GSAC Win

Hawks Knock off Westmont for First GSAC Win

(M Soccer) Permanent link   All Posts

lhSat., Oct 1st, 2011 [Box Score]
Santa Barbara, Calif. -- The San Diego Christian College men’s soccer team knew the game plan they needed to execute in order win on Saturday. With ball control and patience, the Hawks collected their first conference win of the season, a 2-1 victory over Westmont College.

“The boys were very, very disciplined today,” said head coach Carlos Calderson. “They stayed with the game plan.”

The first half saw the Hawks (3-8-1, 1-4 GSAC) lose the ball control battle and Westmont (2-8-1, 1-3-1 GSAC) was able to fire off seven shots. SDCC goalkeeper Cameron Riley (pictured left), who kept the Warriors at bay all afternoon, collected two saves in the first half to keep the game scoreless at intermission.

The second half seemed to be headed the same way as the first half, when Westmont had four shots in the first 10 minutes. Three of the first four were stopped by Riley, but Westmont was able to get on the board when Riley deflected a shot that bounced to Zach George. George was able to take advantage of a displaced Riley to score his first goal of the season.

The Westmont momentum did not last long, however. Less than two minutes after falling behind, SDCC’s Leandro Vienna delivered a ball off a free kick into the box, where Frank Zimmerman headed the ball toward the goal. The ball fell directly to SDCC’s Brent Oglesby who drilled the ball into the back of the net to knot the game at 1-1.

The momentum had started to shift. Calderson credits the players sticking to the plan, adding “In the second half, we started possessing the ball and not letting them be comfortable with the ball.”

The game would remain tied for much of the second half. However, momentum would move more into the Hawks favor when Westmont forward Marcos Lopez received a red card in the 71st minute. SDCC went on the attack, outshooting Westmont 5-1 after the caution was issued.

After shots from Vienna and Justin Picou were unable to find the net, SDCC finally took the lead in the 83rd minute. Victor Flores dribbled past the last defender and drilled the ball with his left foot that found the opposite side of the net to give the Hawks the 2-1 advantage.

Westmont’s final chance came in the 88th minute. Riley promptly collected the save to give the game to the Hawks.

“We were tired of playing well and not coming out on top,” said Oglesby. “We played together for 90 minutes and never gave up.”

“It means so much (to get a GSAC win). It shows what we have been working so hard for. It gives us a ton of momentum moving forward; the first win is always the hardest and now we have it”

Calderson added, “I am extremely proud of them. We have been a part of some great games this season with a negative result. Being able to get our first GSAC win at Westmont versus a very good team was not an easy task.”

“I pray this win will develop into something more for the team as well as SDCC.”

The Hawks welcome Hope International to campus on Tuesday, October 18th at 3:00pm.

Bookmark and Share